Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Daisy - A Week of Firsts - Not done yet!


This past weekend, Daisy had a friend staying with us.  Mya is an Aussie who is sensitive and sweet all at the same time.  When Mya smiles she reminds me of Daisy because her whole face lights up.  Daisy feels very comfortable with her.

When Mya was dropped off on Sunday, she brought with her one of her favorite toys.  It's called the Tug-n-Toss and it looks like a big red rubber ball with a handle on the top.  It actually reminds me of a toy I had as a child called the Hoppity Horse. (Perhaps some of you will remember such a toy from your childhood!)

In the past, Daisy has never shown any interest in her toys, other than to carry it around in her mouth.  I've thrown many a tennis ball for other dogs that have stayed with us and Daisy's reaction has always been to go in the opposite direction or ignore the ball completely.  Even when her friend Sasha stayed with us, she showed only a mild interest in the ball or in Sasha retrieving the ball from the snow.

So, imagine my surprise when I threw the Tug-n-Toss out into the yard (for Mya) and Daisy came flying out of the garage and took off after it.  I think my jaw hit the ground! But, what happened next was just as amazing.  Daisy picked up the ball and started prancing around; running back and forth in the yard carrying the ball in her mouth!  Her tail was flying high and her head was up as if she were really proud of herself. It was quite simply, amazing. Perhaps one of the most spectacular moments I have had since adopting Daisy.  

Who would have ever guessed? Not me. I honestly have to say that I never expected Daisy to ever learn how to "play".  Because of the number of years she spent in a puppy mill, I had decided early on that I would just be happy if Daisy were happy and felt safe. Who could have ever guessed that she would once again surprise me and do another "first" after completing a week of "firsts"? 

I bet you can guess what I did after dropping Mya off at home yesterday. Yep! Daisy now has her very own Tug-n-Toss! When I threw it into the yard yesterday she ran after it and tried to retrieve it, but she couldn't figure out how to pick it up. That's because Mya's ball is caved in on two sides and when Daisy retrieved Mya's ball she was able to pick it up on the side (vs. the handle). She's still interested in her new toy, but she is still trying to figure out how to pick it up (she hasn't discovered the handle yet). Luckily, Mya is coming back this weekend. I am sincerely hoping she will work her magic on Daisy's new ball and make it deflate a little so Daisy can pick it up more easily.  I'll keep you posted on what happens! Go Daisy Go!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that Daisy has learned how to play!!!! It's amazing how dogs can learn from other dogs, good girl! Woofs, Johann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Johann!
    There's nothing better than seeing Daisy run and play!

    ReplyDelete